|Home world:||R'lyeh, Planet Earth (Neo Frontier Space Timeline)|
|First appearance:||Ultraman Tiga Episode 51 "Master of Darkness" (1997)|
|Latest appearance:||Ultraman Tiga Episode 52 "To the Shining Ones" (1997)|
Jugglus Juggler (Master/Summoner)
Gatanothor (ガタノゾーア Gatanozōa?) is a powerful kaiju, and the final antagonist who appeared in Ultraman Tiga. Its alternate names are Gatanothoa or Gatanozoa, with the latter being the most well-known and still in common use.
The Ruler of Darkness, Gatanothor is responsible for the annihilation of the ancient humans that roamed the planet millions of years ago, having surfaced from the mythical city of R'lyeh. After covering the world with perpetual darkness, Gatanothor's reign of terror affected all life on the planet. But when the age of darkness neared its end, Gatanothor, along with its followers (called Zoiger) went into the ancient city of R'lyeh island and hibernated. It wasn't until modern times that Gatanothor and its brood awoke once more. The Ruler of Darkness sought to have Earth revisit its dark past. But unlike the last time, a titan stood in Gatanothor's way: Ultraman Tiga. The Warrior of Light defied Gatanothor's rule and pledged to fight for humanity. After dismembering one of the Zoiger, Daigo summoned his courage, and the love he had for the entire human race. Ultraman Tiga arrived to face Gatanothor, but the Warrior of Light only had Daigo's light to power him, and he was easily defeated, despite the usage of the Delcalium Light Stream and a modified Zepellion Ray in his Power Type. Gatanothor turned him back into a stone statue and struck it with a tentacle, which caused it to plummet into the dark depths of the Pacific Ocean.
Gatanothor now stood unopposed and allowed its darkness to sweep across the globe. There was nothing that could stop it or the Zoigar from ruling supreme. But the Ruler of Darkness didn't expect GUTS to band together to help stop the horrific beast. GUTS had enlisted Keigo Masaki, ex-host of Evil Tiga to help with Tiga's revival. His plan failed, but caused the people to unite. With humanity taking up arms and uniting, their hopes manifested into the forms of pure light, and poured into Ultraman Tiga's Color Timer. Ultraman Tiga was revived & later confronted Gatanothor in the ancient city. With great power never before seen, Tiga succeeded in easily sending the Ruler of Darkness to oblivion with a combination of Tiga's Glitter Bomber, two Glitter Vanishers, Glitter Zeppelion Ray, and finally the Color Timer Flash. The Earth and humanity was saved and the Spark Lens disintegrated into dust soon after.
- Gatanothor is based on the Cthulhu Mythos deity, Ghatanothoa, whose name is spelled (in Japanese) the same way as Gatanothor. Like Ghatanothoa, Gatanothor has petrifaction ability. Its role, however, as well as fact that Gatanothor's resting place is the submarine ancient city R'lyeh, is derived from Ghatanothoa's father, Cthulhu.
- Gatanothor is the first kaiju that managed to end Tiga's life, reverting the Ultra into a stone statue.
- Gatanothor's name is never mentioned in the narration of the episode. It is referred to as the "Master of Darkness" to play on his omnipotent nature.
- The porous texture that covers Gatanothor's shell are shared features with Golza, Melba, Galra and the Zoiger, as all of them are related as Super Ancient kaiju by nature. Unlike Gatanothor, their main reason is to act as a disguise for peepholes for the suit actors to use.
- Gatanothor's curved shell also means that he resembles a combination of various Nautiloids and other sea creatures, including the extinct Ammonite.
- Gatanothor's roar is a reused and slightly modified Desghidorah roar, which in turn was made of modified elephant trumpets.
- Gatanothor is the first kaiju in the Ultra Series that has his head upside down.
- Although not physically seen, Gatanothor is one of the monsters that makes up Beryudora's body in Mega Monster Battle: Ultra Galaxy Legend The Movie.
- Gatanothor has instant kill and unblock special attacks in Ultraman Fighting Evoultion 3, similar to Ultraman Legend.
- Both episodes were later featured in episodes 16-17 of Ultraman Retsuden.
- Gatanothor shares some similarities with Mururoa from Ultraman Taro.
Ultraman Tiga: The Final OdysseyEdit
Despite not appearing in the movie, after Kamila knew that Tiga had fallen in love with another woman, Gatanothor's hatred and anger against Tiga was transferred to Kamila and her two other giants. With Gatanothor's anger and hatred, and the dark energy of R'lyeh Island, Kamila was able to transform into her final monstrous form, Demonozour.
Gatanothor's Spark Doll was seen in Dark Lugiel's collection room inside Furohoshi Elementary School, meaning a version of him fought in the Dark Spark War. It is assumed that he returned to space in his original form after Ultraman Ginga defeated Dark Lugiel.
- An actual Spark Doll of Gatanothor was sold as part of Premium Bandai in 2016, packaged alongside Spark Dolls of petrified Tiga Strong Type and Glitter Tiga.
Gatanothor appeared as a Cyber Card In the final episode of Ultraman X. After Ultraman X spoke out to Gomora and striked Greeza right in the center of his chest, Gatanothor, along with all of the other Cyber Cards, traveled to X and united with him. Cyber Gatanothor's power was used to help form the Hybrid armor and power up the Ultimate Xanadium to defeat Greeza once and for all. Gatanothor, along with the numerous other Cyber Cards and Spark Dolls, then appeared and thanked Daichi as he thanked them.
Although he's not physically seen in this series, Maga-Tanothor (マガタノゾーア Maga Tanozōa?) is the King Demon Beast of Darkness and is Jugglus Juggler's Kaiju Cards. He does fight Orb in off-screen, as mentioned by Juggler himself and is suspected to be the source of Ultraman Tiga's Ultra Fusion Cards.
The card of Maga-Tanothor was used alongside other King Demon Beasts to unveil Maga-Orochi's egg. In the finale, Maga-Tanothor's power is used alongside other King Demon Beasts by Magata no Orochi in its rampaging spree.
- Magata no Orochi's tentacles (which was from its blood vein-like features) is confirmed to be from Maga-Tanothor by Kiyotaka Taguchi in his Twitter account.
- Many believe that Maga-Tanothor's name is a spelling error, thus preferring to call it as Maga-Gatanothor (マガガタノゾーア Maga Gatanozōa?). The change of original name is due to the repetition of the Katakana letter "Ga" (ガ?), thus making the Gatanohor part being redundant.
- In the original toy catalog release, Magata no Orochi was mistaken by many fans to be a combination of Maga-Orochi and Maga-Tanothor, due to their names.
- Magata no Orochi's name was previously written as Maga Tano-Orochi by fans before the airing of episode 24.
- Alongside Maga-Pandon, Maga-Tanothor is largely identical to its original variant, with the Maga Crystal being the only differences.
- Alongside Maga-Zetton, it was unknown if their actions were recorded in the Pacific Records.
- In the commercial for Juggler's Dark Ring, Maga-Tanothor's Kaiju Card bears Tiga's crest, however the official website for Ultraman Fusion Fight depicted the card with Orb Origin's crest.
- Height: 150 m
- Length: 200 m
- Weight: 200,000 t
- Origin: R'lyeh in the South Pacific → The super ancient civilization on R'lyeh Island (First sighted in modern times) (Neo Frontier Space Timeline)
- Powers and Weapons
- Petrifaction Ray (石化光線 Sekka Kōsen?): Gatanothor can fire a purple beam of energy from the portion of shell above its head. This beam actually pierces through the opponent's body and turns them into stone in just few seconds. It is alternatively called as Penetration Lazer (貫通レーザー Kantsū Rēzā?) in Fighting Evolution 3.
- Tentacles: Gatanothor has many tentacles located around his head. It can have these tentacles stretch out to great lengths to ensnare distant foes. It can also use these tentacles to lash out as weapons.
- Pincers: Gatanothor has four giant pincers on the end of its longest tentacles. These pincers can be used effectively in melee combat.
- Shadow Mist (シャドウミスト Shadō Misuto?): Using its unnatural powers, Gatanothor can cause never-ending darkness to plague the earth. When spreading, the darkness takes the form of black clouds that can kill small beings, like humans, on contact. And for the larger beings, it causes explosion when come into contact.
- In Fighting Evolution 3, Gatanothor was able to shroud the entire screen. Players need to use Cheat Machine to change the value to 37 in Custom Mode and you can see the there is two selection, Black Gas and Power Up in the R1/L1 section.
- Shell: Gatanothor is protected by a gigantic shell that can withstand all but the most powerful attacks. It proved effective against the Delicalium Light Stream and Zepellion Ray, but was helpless against Glitter Tiga's attacks.
- Length Increase: Gatanothor can increase his length by showing his bottom part of his body, even it can only towering an Ultra. It will also show his Pincers as hands and lots of his tentacles. Doing so, Gatanothor's eyes will turn to red and he becomes more brutal.
- ULTRA MONSTERS
- Giant Claw Knockout (巨爪叩きつぶし Kyosō Tataki Tsubushi?): An attack which involves hitting the opponent with its pincers.
- Evil Genocider (イーヴィルジェノサイダー Īviru Jinosaidā?): A tag-team attack with Evil Tiga. Evil Tiga jumps onto Gatanothor's back while the monster exhales Shadow Mist to confuse the opponent. The former soon attacks the disoriented opponent until Gatanothor launches Petrifaction Ray to freeze them. Evil Tiga absorb Gatanothor's Shadow Mist to empower his own Evil Shot towards the petrified opponent.
Gatanothor's weakness is light, being the main reason why he covered the Earth's sky with Zoigers and clouds of darkness.
Cyber Gatanothor (サイバーガタノゾーア Saibā Gatanozōa?)
- Height: 150 m
- Weight: 200,000 t
- Origin: Xio Headquarters
- Cyber Powers: Unknown
- Powers and Weapons
- Height: 150 m
- Weight: 200,000 t
- Origin: Unknown
- Powers and Weapons
- Tentacles: Maga-Tanothor has many tentacles located around his head. It can have these tentacles stretch out to great lengths to ensnare distant foes. It can also use these tentacles to lash out as weapons.
- Pincers: Similar to the original one, it has four pincers on the end of it's longest tentacles.
- Shell: Maga-Tanothor is protected by a gigantic shell that can withstand any beam attacks.
- Maga-Darkness (マガ冥闇 Maga Kurayami?): A stronger variant of Gatanothor's Shadow Mist in which said attack is empowered with purple electricity.
Gatanothor also appeared in the game, Taiketsu! Ultra Hero as a playable character.
Gatanothor appears as a boss character for both the Ultra Mode and Tag-Team Mode. However, he is not playable himself. Mainly, it is because he can't move on land and he has an special attack that can't be blocked.
- ↑ Ultraman Pictorial Report 2003 pg 86-99
- ↑ http://p-bandai.jp/item/item-1000101405/
- ↑ http://m-78.jp/news/n-4355/
- ↑ https://twitter.com/TaguchiKiyotaka/status/813275192612954112
- ↑ https://twitter.com/fusionfighterT/status/834637796165898241
- ↑ Ultraman Dictionary 2001 pg 78-91
- ↑ Uchusen Year Book 1998 pg 15-18