|Home world:||R'lyeh, Planet Earth (Neo Frontier Space Timeline)|
|First appearance:||Ultraman Tiga Episode 51 "Master of Darkness" (1997)|
|Latest appearance:||Ultraman Tiga Episode 52 "To the Shining Ones" (1997)|
Jugglus Juggler (Master/Summoner)
Gatanothor (ガタノゾーア Gatanozōa?) is a powerful kaiju, and the final antagonist who appeared in Ultraman Tiga. Its alternate names are Gatanothoa or Gatanozoa, with the latter being the most well-known and still in common use.
The Ruler of Darkness, Gatanothor is responsible for the annihilation of the ancient humans that roamed the planet millions of years ago, having surfaced from the mythical city of R'lyeh. After covering the world with perpetual darkness, Gatanothor's reign of terror affected all life on the planet. But when the age of darkness neared its end, Gatanothor, along with its followers (called Zoiger) went into the ancient city of R'lyeh island and hibernated. It wasn't until modern times that Gatanothor and its brood awoke once more. The Ruler of Darkness sought to have Earth revisit its dark past. But unlike the last time, a titan stood in Gatanothor's way: Ultraman Tiga. The Warrior of Light defied Gatanothor's rule and pledged to fight for humanity. After dismembering one of the Zoiger, Daigo summoned his courage, and the love he had for the entire human race. Ultraman Tiga arrived to face Gatanothor, but the Warrior of Light only had Daigo's light to power him, and he was easily defeated, despite the usage of the Delcalium Light Stream and a modified Zepellion Ray in his Power Type. Gatanothor turned him back into a stone statue and struck it with a tentacle, which caused it to plummet into the dark depths of the Pacific Ocean.
Gatanothor now stood unopposed and allowed its darkness to sweep across the globe. There was nothing that could stop it or the Zoigar from ruling supreme. But the Ruler of Darkness didn't expect GUTS to band together to help stop the horrific beast. GUTS had enlisted Keigo Masaki, ex-host of Evil Tiga to help with Tiga's revival. His plan failed, but caused the people to unite. With humanity taking up arms and uniting, their hopes manifested into the forms of pure light, and poured into Ultraman Tiga's Color Timer. Ultraman Tiga was revived & later confronted Gatanothor in the ancient city. With great power never before seen, Tiga succeeded in easily sending the Ruler of Darkness to oblivion with a combination of Tiga's Glitter Bomber, two Glitter Vanishers, Glitter Zeppelion Ray, and finally the Color Timer Flash. The Earth and humanity was saved and the Spark Lens disintegrated into dust soon after.
- Gatanothor is based on the Cthulhu Mythos deity, Ghatanothoa, whose name is spelled (in Japanese) the same way as Gatanothor. Like Ghatanothoa, Gatanothor has petrifaction ability. Its role, however, as well as fact that Gatanothor's resting place is the submarine ancient city R'lyeh, is derived from Ghatanothoa's father, Cthulhu.
- Gatanothor is the first kaiju that managed to end Tiga's life, reverting the Ultra into a stone statue.
- Gatanothor's name is never mentioned in the narration of the episode. It is referred to as the "Master of Darkness" to play on his omnipotent nature.
- The porous texture that covers Gatanothor's shell resemble the texture of Golza, Melba, Galra and the Zoiger's skin texture. It is assumed that Gatanothor's shell's texture is supposed to relate to them as they are all Super Ancient kaiju by nature.
- Gatanothor's curved shell also means that he resembles a combination of various Nautiloids and other sea creatures, including the extinct Ammonite.
- Gatanothor's roar is a reused and slightly modified Desghidorah roar, which in turn was made of modified elephant trumpets.
- Gatanozoa is the first kaiju in the Ultra Series that has his head is upside down.
- Although not physically seen, Gatanothor is one of the monsters that makes up Beryudora's body in Mega Monster Battle: Ultra Galaxy Legend The Movie.
- Gatanothor has instant kill and unblocked special attacks in Ultraman Fighting Evoultion 3, similar to Ultraman Legend.
- Both episodes were later featured in episodes 16-17 of Ultraman Retsuden.
- Gatanothor shares some similarities with Mururoa from Ultraman Taro.
Ultraman Tiga:The Final OdysseyEdit
Despite not appearing in the movie, after Kamila knew that Tiga had fallen in love with another woman, Gatanothor's hatred and anger against Tiga was transferred to Kamila and her two other giants. With Gatanothor's anger and hatred, and the dark energy of R'lyeh Island, Kamila was able to transform into her final monstrous form, Demonothor.
Gatanothor's Spark Doll was seen in Dark Lugiel's collection room inside Furohoshi Elementary School, meaning a version of him fought in the Dark Spark War. It is assumed that he returned to space in his original form after Ultraman Ginga defeated Dark Lugiel.
Ultraman X Edit
Gatanothor appeared as a Cyber Card In the final episode of Ultraman X. After Ultraman X spoke out to Gomora and striked Greeza right in the center of his chest, Gatanothor, along with all of the other Cyber Cards, traveled to X and united with him. Cyber Gatanothor's power was used to help form the Hybrid armor and power up the Ultimate Xanadium to defeat Greeza once and for all. Gatanothor, along with the numerous other Cyber Cards and Spark Dolls, then appeared and thanked Daichi as he thanked them.
- Height: 200 m
- Weight: 200,000 t
- Origin: R'lyeh in the South Pacific → The ancient Ultra city on R'lyeh Island (First sighted in modern times) (Neo Frontier Space Timeline)
Powers and WeaponsEdit
- Petrifaction Ray (石化光線 Sekka Kōsen):Gatanothor can fire a purple beam of energy from the portion of shell above its head. This beam actually pierces through the opponent's body and turns them into stone in just few seconds.
- Tentacles: Gatanothor has many tentacles located around his head. It can have these tentacles stretch out to great lengths to ensnare distant foes. It can also use these tentacles to lash out as weapons.
- Pincers: Gatanothor has 2 giant pincers on the end of its longest tentacles.These pincers can be used effectively in melee combat.
- Shadow Mist (シャドウミスト Shadō Misuto): Using its unnatural powers, Gatanothor can cause never-ending darkness to plague the earth. When spreading, the darkness takes the form of black clouds that can kill small beings, like humans, on contact. And for the larger beings, it causes explosion when come into contact.
- Shell: Gatanothor is protected by a gigantic shell that can withstand all but the most powerful attacks. It proved effective against the Delicalium Light Stream and Zepellion Ray, but was helpless against Glitter Tiga's attacks.
- Rope Attacking: Gatanothor can push his strong rope, like an umbilical cord, into the ground, and have it pop up, striking his enemy.
- Length Increase: Gatanothor can increase his length by showing his bottom part of his body, even it can only towering an Ultra. It will also show his Pincers as hands and lots of his tentacles. Doing so, Gatanothor's eyes will turn to red and he becomes more brutal.
- Power Up: In Ultraman Fighting Evolition 3, Gatanothor was able to make the screen dark and Gatanothor also will be darken.(You need to use Cheat Machine to change the value to 37 in Custom Mode and you can see the there is two selection, Black Gas and Power Up in the R1/L1 section).
Gatanozoa's weakness is light, being the main reason why he covered the Earth's sky with Zoigers and clouds of darkness.
Gatanothor also appeared in the game, Taiketsu! Ultra Hero as a playable character.
Gatanothor appears as a boss character for both the Ultra Mode and Tag-Team Mode. However, he is not playable himself. Mainly, it is because he can't move on land and he has an special attack that can't be blocked.