"I want to fight but I want to be human"
- ―Jack Shindo to Ultraman Great, The Hibernator
|Transformation Item:||Delta-Plasma Pendant|
|Home world:||Earth (Alternate Nebula M78 Timeline)|
|First Appearance:||Ultraman: Towards the Future Episode 1: "Signs of Life"|
|Last Appearance:||Ultraman: Towards the Future Episode 13: "Nemesis"|
|Portrayed by:||Dore Kraus|
Jack Shindo (ジャック・シンドー Jakku Shindo) is an Australian man who chosen by Ultraman Great to be his human host.
Ultraman: Towards the Future
Jack Shindo was an astronaut who, on his expedition to Mars, lost his partner Stanley Haggard in a fight between Gudis and Ultraman Great. The latter, after defeating the monster (who escapes to Earth), combines with Shindo to save him from being stranded on Mars. After mysteriously returning to Earth, Shindo joins UMA as a member, although his astronaut work was somehow related to UMA, to help the team with the Gudis threat, among other monster/alien-related calamities, since he shares Great's psyche. Though somewhat reluctant to be combined with Great, as he does not like being constantly under his teammates's suspicion, he nonetheless takes up this responsibility. Shindo transforms into Ultraman Great by activating the Delta Plasma Pendant, which is shaped like Great's Color Timer warning light.
In the series finale, a doomsday scenario begins with the appearance of three powerful monsters: Kilazee, Kodalar, and the Earth itself, which tries to wipe out the human race for abusing it. Ultraman is defeated by Kodalar, but Jack survives. Ultimately the humans use an ancient disc to destroy Kodalar by reflecting its own power at it and Ultraman defeats Kilazee and carries it into space, separating Jack from him and restoring him on Earth as a normal human. The victory is seen as another chance for the human race.
Delta-Plasma Pendant: Jack places it in his palm and closes his eyes as he concentrates. It then emits pulsating synthesizer noises and a light transforms him. The rise scene for the transformation show Great emerging from amidst an explosion. But after that, Great is shown simply to grow taller.
Powers and Skills
- Astronaut Training: Jack is a trained astronaut more than capable of handling the rigors of space travel.
- Piloting skills: Jack can pilot anything between a spaceship to a UMA fighter.
- Combat Training: Jack is a trained marksman and at least somewhat skilled in bare hand fighting.
- Alien Knowledge: Through his link with Great, Jack has knowledge of alien organisms, monsters, technology, etc., that would stump experts.
- Telepathy: As the host to Great, Jack can channel his thoughts, via the Ultra's mind, to another lifeform.
- Delta-Plasma Pendant: This device allows Jack to transform into Ultraman Great.
- Jack Shindo is the first human host seen talking directly to his Ultra after their merger.
- Jack is portrayed by Dore Kraus in Ultraman: Towards the Future, the 1990s Australian Ultra Series.
- In the Japanese dub, Jack Shindo is voiced by Masaki Kyomoto, who later portrayed captain Shin Hayate in Ultraman Tiga.