|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors). Fix this by removing the plagiarism.|
|The☆Ultraman is the 8th entry in the Ultra Series|
|Created by:||Tsuburaya Productions, Nippon Sunrise|
|Opening Theme:||The Ultraman|
|Ending Theme:||Heroes of Love|
|Country Of Origin||Japan|
|Number Of Episodes||50|
|Running Time||24 mins|
|Original Air Date||April 4, 1979 - March 26, 1980|
|Preceded by||Ultraman Leo|
|Succeeded by||Ultraman 80|
The☆Ultraman (ザ☆ウルトラマン Za Urutoraman?) is the 8th entry in the Ultra Series. It is a Japanese animated television series co-produced by Tsuburaya Productions and Tokyo Broadcasting System. The series aired on TBS Television affiliates on the Wednesday 7:00 PM time slot from April 4, 1979 to March 26, 1980, lasting a total of 50 episodes. It was the eighth installment in the Ultra Series and aired four years after the end of Ultraman Leo. The show was the first animated incarnation of Tsuburaya's iconic superhero Ultraman, as well as one of the earliest works of anime studio Nippon Sunrise (now known simply as Sunrise), who also worked on their now-iconic mecha series Mobile Suit Gundam during the same year.
- Main article: Ultraman Joneus
The Ultraman featured in this series is named Ultraman Joneus (ウルトラマンジョーニアス Urutoraman Jōniasu? alternately spelled Ultraman Jonias), who is also called Ultraman Joe (ウルトラマンJ Urutoraman Jō?) for short. Hhe hails from the Planet U40 (as opposed to the Land of Light in Nebula M78, where Ultra-beings usually came from).
Scientific Defense Guard
- Main article: Scientific Defense Guard
- Tetsuo Akiyama (アキヤマ 徹男 Akiyama Tetsuo?): The first captain of the Far East Zone. He is transferred to the America Zone in Episode 26.
- Daisuke Gondo (ゴンドウ 大助 Gondō Daisuke?): The second captain of the Far East Zone, who takes over Akiyama's duties from Episode 27 and onward.
- Kei Marume (マルメ 敬 Marume Kei?): A chubby strongman and an expert marksman.
- Hiroaki Tobe (トベ 博明 Tobe Hiroaki?): A smart alik weapons developer.
- Mutsumi Hoshikawa (星川 ムツミ Hoshikawa Mutsumi?): The female member.
- Choichiro Hikari (ヒカリ 超一郎 Hikari Chōichirō?): He encounters Joeneus on his way from the space station EGG 3 to the earth, and merges with Joeneus.
- Pigu and Monkey: The Pigmon-like robot operator and mascot of the team, respectively.
In the United States, there have been two feature-length movie compilations:
- The Adventures of Ultraman (1981), a featured-length movie produced by Tsuburaya Productions specifically for the English-language market. The movie is composed of edited footage from several episodes at the end of of the series. The storyline was rewritten for this adaptation with a new script by Jeff Segal and music composed by Mark McKinniss.
- Ultraman II: The Further Adventures of Ultraman (1983), a dub of the first four episodes co-produced by Tsuburaya Productions and Associates Entertainment International. Despite the title, it has no continuity with the previous English dub of the series. Although the translation is closer to the original Japanese scripts than the first movie, the characters' names were still changed (the names given to the characters are not the same ones used in the previous dub, though several are very similar). The order of the third and fourth episodes were also switched.