|Home world:||Prehistoric Earth|
|First appearance:||Dinosaur Expedition Born Free Episode 4: "Desert Rampage Tyrannosaurus" (1976)|
|Latest appearance:||Dinosaur Expedition Born Free Episode 23: "Defeat the Human Eating Dinosaurs!"|
Tyrannosaurus (ティラノサウルス Tiranosaurusu) is one of the most famous genus of large extinct coelurosaurian theropod dinosaurs that lived during the Late Cretaceous period.
A Tyrannosaurus appeared in the episodes 4, 8, 17, 20 and 23 of Dinosaur Expedition Born Free.
- Height: 12 m (Dinosaur Expedition Born Free), 4 meters (in real life)
- Length: N/A (Dinosaur Expedition Born Free), 12.5 meters (in real life)
- Weight: N/A (Dinosaur Expedition Born Free), 7 tons (in real life)
- Origin: Prehistoric Earth
Dinosaur Expedition Born Free
When a group of poachers traveled back in time, so did the Born Free Crew! Using advanced weapons and vehicles, the Born Free gang thwarted the plans of the poachers, and sometimes, had help from the dinosaurs they saved. The Tyrannosaurus was one of the poachers biggest targets, as the tyrant lizard king always ruined plans by chasing away other dinosaurs or destroying traps set for him.
- The puppet for the close up shots of the tyrannosaur would be used by Ururu in The Dinosaur Great War Izenborg. The stop motion puppet would be seen in Ururu's kingdom.
Trivia not relevant for the series
- Tyrannosaurus rex means "Tyrant lizard king" in Greek.
- Like many bipedal dinosaurs in the series, Tyrannosaurus rex was historically depicted as a 'living tripod', with the body at 45 degrees or less from the vertical and the tail dragging along the ground, similar to a kangaroo. This concept dates from Joseph Leidy's 1865 reconstruction of Hadrosaurus, the first to depict a dinosaur in a bipedal posture. In 1915, convinced that the creature stood upright, Henry Fairfield Osborn, former president of the American Museum of Natural History, further reinforced the notion in unveiling the first complete Tyrannosaurus rex skeleton arranged this way. It stood in an upright pose for 77 years, until it was dismantled in 1992. By 1970, scientists realized this pose was incorrect and could not have been maintained by a living animal, as it would have resulted in the dislocation or weakening of several joints, including the hips and the articulation between the head and the spinal column.
Powers and Abilities
- Jaws: Like all Tyrannosaurs, the one in Born Free had massive ones filled with sharp teeth.
- Tyrannosaurus Rex (The Last Dinosaur)
- Ururu (Dinosaur Great War Izenborg)
- Tyrannosaurus Jackie (Dinosaur Squadron Koseidon)
- Demagorg (Ultraman Dyna)
- Rock Eater (Ultraman Neos)
- King Dainas (Ultraman Neos; body part)
Dinosaur Expedition Born Free
|Dinosaur Expedition Born Free Kaiju|
|Giant Ammonite (pilot episode) | Brontosaurus | Allosaurus | Tyrannosaurus | Triceratops | Trachodon | Stegosaurus | Iguanodon | Pteranodons |Gorgosaurus | Stegoceras | Ankylosaurus | Polacanthus | Monoclonius | Brachiosaurus | Corythosaurus | Diplodocus | Ezomikasa Dragon|