|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors). Fix this by removing the plagiarism.|
|Ultraman 80 is the 8th entry in the Ultra Series|
|Format:||Science fiction, action, adventure|
|Created by:||Tsuburaya production|
|Starring:||Hatsunori Hasegawa, Sayoko Hagiwara, Jin Nakayama, Mayumi Asano|
|Opening Theme:||Ultraman 80 (1st opening theme)
Ultraman 80 Ganbare (2nd opening theme)
|Ending Theme:||Let's Go UGM (1st ending theme)
I'm an Earthling (2nd ending theme)
|Country Of Origin||Japan|
|Number Of Episodes||50|
|Running Time||24 Minutes (per episode)|
|Original Air Date||April 2 1980 - March 25 1981|
|Preceded by||The Ultraman|
|Succeeded by||Ultraman: Towards the Future|
|Watch on Crunchyroll|
Ultraman 80 (ウルトラマン80 Urutoraman Eiti?) is a Japanese tokusatsu TV show produced by Tsuburaya Productions which aired on the Tokyo Broadcasting System channel from April 2, 1980 to March 25, 1981, lasting a total of 50 episodes. 80 introduced the second female ultra, Yullian, as well as the first female human form of an ultra since Ultraman Ace, excluding the Lady in Green. It was the ninth TV show in the Ultra Series and began a week after the conclusion of the anime series The Ultraman, bringing the franchise back to its live-action roots. It would be the last Ultraman TV series for Japanese audiences during the following sixteen years until the production of Ultraman Tiga.
Ultraman 80 comes to Earth as one of the newest members of the Ultra Space Garrison (it is revealed in Ultraman Mebius that he is the ninth Ultra Brother), in the form of science teacher Takeshi Yamato. After a five-year hiatus since the departure of Ultraman Leo (1974), monsters started reappearing again.
Yamato's theory is that monsters are born of the energy created by negative human emotions, also known as Minus Energy. He decides to become a teacher at Sakuragaoka Junior High School in Tokyo, and serves as a science teacher, as well as the home room teacher responsible for 1st Year, E Division. He is absolutely dedicated to his students, for he is there to teach them not just about science, but also about life. Unfortunately, he has a penchant for being late, so he does things like promising his students to walk to class on his hands if he is late next time, or even promising to resign as a teacher. He even starts up a band with his students and jams on an electric guitar. His over-enthusiasm quickly wins the loyalty of his students, but often makes him an easy target for the prim Deputy Schoolmaster Kumi Nozawa. Yamato loves rice, ramen (Japanese noodle soup) and orange juice. He also loves Kyoko Aihara, the gym teacher, but loses all confidence in himself and sense of composure in her presence.
Yamato dons an orange and silver suit to moonlight at UGM (Utility Government Members), the regular Earth defence team, after school and on Sundays. He gets the job from Captain Oyama because they are both present at a park in the first episode, looking for signs of new monster activity. Oyama is happy to meet someone who believes in the re-emergence of monsters. Even his own team members had their doubts, since none of them have any combat experience like their veteran captain. At school, only Principal Kennosuke Hayashi knows of Yamato's extracurricular activities.
80 has one of the more difficult human situations of any Ultraman. Ultraman 80 cannot be revealed to be known by humans, since his revelation will lead 80 to leave Earth. Yet, Yamato must still balance UGM and school, all the while hiding his true identity, while nursing a crush on Aihara. Though determined to teach his students about responsibility and integrity, he has to lie and break promises constantly to maintain this secret multiple personality and eventually stops working as a teacher to be a full time UGM member.
Ultraman 80 and Hoshi returns home after the event of the final episode against monster Margodon. In the final episode, UGM destroy Margodon all by themselves. It is revealed that Captain Oyama knows the real identities of Yamato and Hoshi, and a small celebration is held to appreciate Ultraman 80's and Hoshi's assistance while on Earth.
UGM (Utility Government Members) MembersEdit
- Main article: Utility Government Members
- Captain Kazuki Oyama
- Chief Junkichi Ito
- Takeshi Yamato (human disguise of Ultraman 80)
- Hiroshi Tajima
- Emi Jouno
- Ryoko Hoshi
Ultraman 80 had average ratings due to tokusatsu not being popular during the time (in the 80's anime was having a big fame). 80 is considered among the least known of the Showa era Ultra series. In other countries, like France, due to the show being named Ultraman 80, in many promos 80 was named "Ultraman 2080". Tokuriders.com commented that the series are "a little conserved and a little new; it seems the creators had a drought of ideas, and had the imagination with the handbrake on, yet it has points of interest avd valuable aspects...". The series currently have a 7.1 rating on the Internet Movie Database.
- Takeshi Yamato/Ultraman 80 (voice) (矢的猛 / ウルトラマン80 (声) Yamato Takeshi/ Urutoraman 80 (koe)?): Hatsunori Hasegawa (長谷川初範 Hasegawa hatsunori?)
- Kazuki Oyama (オオヤマ一樹 Ōyama Kazuki?): Hitoshi Nakayama ( 中山仁 Nakayamajin?)
- Emi Jouno (城野エミ Jōno emi?): Eri Ishida (石田えり Ishida eri?)
- Hiroshi Tajima (タジマ浩 Tajima Hiroshi?): Shuhei Nitta (新田修平 Nitta Shūhei?)
- Junkichi Ito (イトウ順吉 Itō Junkichi?): Masaaki Daimon (大門正明 Daimon Masaaki?)
- Kazuki Oyama (オオヤマ一樹 Ōyama Kazuki?):
- Tokihiko Harada (ハラダ時彦 Harada Tokihiko?): Daisuke Muso (無双大介 Musō Daisuke?)
- Shinpachiro Fujimori (フジモリ新八郎 Fujimori Shinpachirō?): Masashi Furuta (古田正志 Furuta Masashi?)
- Ryoko Hoshi/Yullian (星涼子/ユリアン Hoshi Ryōko/Yurian Voice?): Sayoko Hagiwara (萩原佐代子 Hagiwara Sayoko?)
- Noboru Ikeda (イケダ登 Ikeda Noboru?): Tatsuya Okamoto (岡本達哉 Okamoto Tatsuya?)
- Sera Teruo (セラ照夫 Sera Teruo?): Akihiko Sugisaki (杉崎昭彦 Sugisaki Akihiko?)
- Yuriko Kosaka (小坂ユリ子 Kosaka Yuriko?): Oriko Shirasaka (白坂紀子 Shirasaka Oriko?)
- Narrator (ナレーター Narētā?): Yusaku Yara (屋良有作 Yara Yūsaku?)
- Ultraman 80 (ウルトラマン80 Urutoraman Eiti?):Junichi Akasaka (赤坂順一 Akasaka Jun'ichi 1-8, & 27-28?): Koichi Nara (奈良光一 Nara Kōichi 9-10 & 12?), Ichibu Hanashino (話の一部 Hanashino Ichibu 29-50?), Yoshitake Iwaizumi (岩泉芳武 Iwaizumi Yoshitake 11?), & Hiroshi Fukuda (福田浩 Fukuda Hiroshi 12-26?)
- Yullian (Yurian ユリアン?): Maki Kiyota (清田真妃 Kiyota Maki?)
A limited edition known as Ultraman 80 DVD 30th Anniversary Memorial Box was released. Two DVD box set will be released by Tsuburaya. It is also available to watch on Crunchyroll.
This is the very first live action Ultra series to have ending credits and an ending song. Two songs were used for the opening and endings, the ending songs were called Let's Go UGM by TALIZMAN, and You are Earthlings by TALIZMAN. The 1st Opening theme was covered by Koorogi '73, but this version is extremely rare.
A CD featuring the OST of the show was released.
Ultraman 80 Complete DVD-Box features all episodes, & Ultraman 80 30th Anniversery Memorial Box I features episodes 1-28 & Box II features episodes 29-50.